Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Hardest Part of Parenting

The hardest part of parenting is learning not to listen to EVERYONE ELSE.


Parenting should be this amazing adventure of discovery and survival.  It should be an experience of bonding and learning how to communicate with a new life.  It should be a customized journey for each child that recognizes and celebrates their individuality.  But unfortunately, it's a guilt-ridden, headache inducing battle for many families.  Too many moms don't learn to shut out the "noise" from books, culture, relatives, friends, etc. (Yes, Dr. Sears, I'm talking about you too!)  Too many parents see what their friends are doing or what some book says and immediately slap themselves upside the head for not doing that too.  It's pretty sad.

To all the new parents in the world, I would encourage you to stick with your gut.  Use common sense.  And tell the busy bodies to buzz off. You are the parent. Your baby loves you.  So love on your baby and don't let anyone else make you feel bad for being you. 

We are not all created to be the same.  Nor are our children.  I don't want my baby to turn out to be just like yours.  I want him to turn out to be the man God created him to be.  So this is my parenting plan: Rely on God to give me the strength and wisdom to make choices that are in the best interest of MY child.  And all other advice can stay on the shelf where it belongs.

2 comments:

  1. This is going to sound really weird and possibly cheesy, but your plan "Rely on God to give me the strength and wisdom to make choices that are in the best interest of MY child" is EXACTLY what the Lord has placed on my heart to pray for you this week! (Coincidence? To quote G2, "I doubt that.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, stay with Phil. 4:13 ��

    ReplyDelete