Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mission Statement

"You, my [sisters], were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love." Galatians 5:13


The personality tests have revealed that I am an uptight, type A person.  But I never realized how embarrassingly anal I am until I decided that I needed a plan  for this next phase of my life.  I function well when I have established goals and objectives to meet my goals.  I know, it sounds like I run my life like a business.  You haven't seen my daily planner...

Yesterday was a milestone for me.  When I hit the send button at 4 o'clock yesterday, I officially turned in my last law school project, thus completing the 87 credit hours and 30 community service hours that I need to graduate from law school.  For the first time ever, I have no external commitments (other than church) in my life.  I am finally free. 

Now, I have to figure out what to do with myself.  Trust me, an organized planner cannot just live day to day without a mission statement.  So I sought out a verse that I could use to inspire me.  And Galatians 5:13 is perfect.  I am truly free from external constraints of work and school, but I need to make it my mission to not waste my time and indulge in sinful pursuits.  I can't be the high maintenance housewife who pampers herself and runs around town with her girl friends getting into trouble.  Instead, I need to use my time to serve others.

This isn't just my calling as a mother.  As a believer in Jesus Christ I am no longer enslaved to the world or to the ritualistic rules of religion either.  Jesus has given me the gift of freedom, and He wants me to use it to serve others.  What a great mission!  If you're a believer, please consider the gift of the freedom you have too.  It's amazing to be free at last.  Now, let's not ruin a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Knew you could do it! Congratulations, my sweet best girlfriend! I am so incredibly proud of you, your hard work and dedication. Law school has caused you to think through a lot of tough moral, ethical, political, and not so black/white issues. To see you grow firmer in your faith and walk with the Lord in spite of some ungodly influences at school has been such a blessing and inspiration! To almost quote a very "famous" lawyer, Elle Woods, YOU DID IT!

    ReplyDelete