Saturday, May 21, 2011

What to Wear to a Golf Tournament


My husband surprised our little family with tickets to the Colonial Invitational Golf Tournament in Fort Worth this weekend.  He thought it would be fun to take our 2 year old to watch golf, since our little guy loves the sport.  Besides, I doubt I'll ever get to see the Colonial golf course any other way (you have to be somebody special to play there.)  It was so much fun, even though the little guy decided he was done walking by the time we reached the 2nd hole.  And of course, while the boys were watching the sport, I was watching the attire of the other spectators.

When I first heard we were going to the golf tournament, I was a little nervous about what to wear.  You just can't throw on a team jersey or a pair of jeans for a golf event.  This is a gentleman's sports, and ladies should not be a distraction on the golf course--EVER.  Country clubs generally have very strict dress codes and I wasn't sure if golf tournaments did as well.  Fortunately, my husband has been to multiple golf tournaments and helped me choose appropriate attire.

I ended up wearing a pair of khaki shorts, an army green blouse, a brown belt, Roxy tennis shoe wedges (cuter than they sound) and fun sparkly jewelry.  Since it rained all day yesterday, I had the insight not to wear sandals or heels on the course.  And since I knew there was a likely chance of getting a sun burn, I made sure that my sleeves were long on my blouse.  My outfit fit in nicely. As for some of the other women, not so much...

I think the best way to tell you what to wear to a golf tournament is to tell you what not to wear based on what I saw.
  • Do not wear a spaghetti strap camisole.  This is not a shirt, this is something that you wear under a shirt.
  • Do not wear a low cut dress with slits up to your rear end.  Your husband might think you look sexy, but the other spectator wives who get to look at your lower half when the wind blows think you look skanky.
  • Do not wear jeans.  For one, you'll sweat in jeans, because it's generally hot at golf tournaments.  And secondly, you'll look like you got lost on your way to the rodeo.
  • Do not wear a sundress without proper undergarments.  It just looks wrong.  Spend the money and find proper undergarments to go with your dress.
  • Do not wear flip flops.  The golf course is made of grass. And tournaments typically require lots of walking.  Wear something comfortable to support your feet.
  • Do not wear work-out clothes.  The only sports attire that is appropriate at a golf tournament is golf attire.  You know, the cute Nike polo shirts with a skort or pair of shorts.
  • Do not bring along a baby as an accessory.  Even though kids 12 and under are free (isn't that cool?) a baby is a huge problem.  Golf tournaments require silence every time a golfer swings.  Since I've never had a silent baby, I would never bring one to a golf tournament.
  • Do not carry a large purse.  Large purses and cameras are prohibited, so you'll have to check it at the gate.
If you ever have to choose an outfit for a golf tournament, just try to find something comfortable and classy.  Golf attire, modest shorts, capris, and sun dresses are all good options.  Just err on the side of modesty and comfort.  And remember that you're at a country club as a spectator, not to be the spectacle.

2 comments:

  1. “…you're at a country club as a spectator, not to be the spectacle…” Oh yes, golf tournaments are serious business, so golfers do not want to be distracted in any way. Besides, they are the stars of the show, so we shouldn’t be the center of attention. Just like you said, we just have to dress comfortably and appropriately.

    Regards,
    Sofia Karg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and Interesting article. During my brother's early golf days, he too have made mistake with the kind of clothes he would wear to the golf tournament. On a funny note, he did wear jeans alot during golf and would feel hot but never thought its because of jeans..:) But I believe he learnt his lesson well and wear golf attire now...Well, just recently I purchased for him a golf cap and Polo T-shirt from PlayGroundOnline website for his coming tournament.

    ReplyDelete