Sunday, September 23, 2012

Enjoy the Work Week


I heard an interesting conversation on the radio recently while I was sorting through medical records for work (yes I can multitask).  It was a conversation between a radio talk show host and his guest, who was a friend of the late President Reagan.  The guest (whose name has completely slipped my mind) is apparently known as being a very strong Christian and also a wise economist.  The guest was discussing America's economic crisis, but he also addressed a huge problem that he sees in our country.  That problem is the concept of RETIREMENT.  He said that we create our own problems when we view work as something that we do until the ages of 60-65 and then retire.  Mainly, because we were created to work.

I guess I had never considered the truth that we, as humans, were created to work.  But if you go back to the garden of Eden in Genesis chapter 2, it clearly states that "The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it."  This was before sin.  In God's perfect creation, man was made to work the garden and name the creatures in it.  There's never any mention of the concept that man was created to sleep in, play golf, or to indulge in Creation.  Instead, he had a job to do--and he was given a helper to assist him with that job.  It wasn't until after the fall of man in Genesis 3 that the work became toilsome and hard. 

This point about us as humans being created to work is interesting to me in light of the John Piper book I just finished reading entitled, Don't Waste Your Life.  In it, John encourages believers to not waste their lives working so that they can spend the last 30 years in stagnation and personal serenity.  Instead, he encourages all believers to view their lives as tools for the ministry at all stages of life.  He specifically calls out to those in the workplace and retirees to stay busy doing kingdom work.

As I reflected on the radio conversation I heard and the book I read, it occurred to me that I have been blessed by examples of godly men in my life.  Both of my grandfathers have stayed busy post-retirement working and making a difference in the lives of others.  One actually went oversees on short terms missions and has faithfully led Bible studies in his local nursing homes for years.  The other has worked in a variety of jobs--including a funeral home--and has been not only a glowing example of a godly father and husband, but has also been an encourager to others.  As if on cue, when my own father retired from 30+ years with one company, he went back to school and took a new job handling financial auditing for lots of local churches and faith-based non-profits.  And despite years of hard work, these men all seem happy.  It's because they're doing what they were created to do--WORK.  And not only that, but they're all doing God-honoring, kingdom work!

I used to think that I was a sick person because I like to work (this includes Mommy work).  But maybe I'm just experiencing the satisfaction of doing what I was created to do.  What an awesome truth to consider this week as I am mopping my floors, doing the laundry, bathing my toddlers, answering emails and meeting my professional work deadlines.  I can be filled with joy and contentment knowing that I am doing what I was created to do: to glorify God in my work! 

And to all you fellow kingdom workers in whatever vocation or household role that you fill, have a great week too, knowing that as you work, you are obeying your Creator!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment