Friday, June 24, 2011

The Slide Whistle Saxophone

I turned on the Today Show while I was drinking my coffee this morning and my toddler went from whiny little boy (he was begging for chocolate cake for breakfast) to a rock star.  Bruno Mars was having a concert on the Today Show's sidewalk and my little guy was fascinated. He got excited when he heard the beat of Runaway Baby start to play.  But when he saw the cool guys dressed in pink shirts and black suits start swaying and dancing to the beat, he was hooked.  So much so, that he went and grabbed his slide whistle instrument so that he could "play along."  He was so cute dancing around the living room like a miniature saxophone player.  And of course, we had to rewind the song and sing it 4 times through!  By the third time, he wanted to get his drums out so he could play along...

It's in these random moments where I learn to appreciate the mind of a toddler. He just wants to play, to pretend, to imitate, and to feel like he's doing something important. And I wonder if I'm doing enough to foster creativity and to encourage his exploration of the world. Music is one way that I know how to do that, so I guess I should encourage little concerts like we had this morning.

The next time I cringe as I pay for a toy drum or noisy guitar, I'll remember how cute it was to watch my guy dancing and playing along to this:

No comments:

Post a Comment