Tuesday, September 17, 2013

School Days Are Here



It occurred to me last week that other than college, this might possibly be my one chance to witness my son heading out for his first day of school.  Somehow, I'm not sure the pictures of him sitting at our table homeschooling next fall will be quite as exciting or emotional as this picture posted above.  He insisted that he was smiling when I took this picture, but he looks like he's scared to death.

Last week was my son's first day of Museum School.  Technically it's classified (and licensed) as a preschool.  But since the classes only meet for 2 hours a week and since the curriculum has been created as a science and history enrichment program, calling this school a preschool doesn't really describe what goes on.  Hopefully, our little guy will be in for a treat this year as his class explores animals, outer space, Texas and Native American History, simple machines, and cowboys--yes, it's only natural that a class in Fort Worth will teach about cowboys during the Stock Show!   The goal of the program is to expose the preschool-age children to science and history in ways that they can't experience in a typical classroom.  So while it might technically be a preschool, Museum school seems more like a year-long science camp.

Museum school sounds like a homeschool parent's dream, right?  Absolutely!  Apparently it was so popular with homeschoolers that the Museum now has special Friday classes for k-12 homeschoolers.  Somehow I'm thinking that last week marked the beginning of a long-term relationship that my family will be having with the Museum.  (Oh, and next month the Curious George exhibit will be here--this seems like a sign!)

Anyway, I didn't cry last Thursday.  Instead I felt really old knowing that my oldest baby is old enough for school.  Thankfully, I realized that I was also really excited for our family to be taking our first step into the wonderful world of formal education!

No comments:

Post a Comment