Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Play Date Update



Humility.  I love how it likes to slap you in the face.  Last week I was so like, "I've got my motherhood groove all figured out.  I don't have to be like all the other moms and can do my own thing and still have great kids!"  And then something happened...

First, I have to give you a little background.  Last month I felt compelled to host a play date at my house.  I've never done this before.  And frankly, my version of a play date is kind of boring.  To make matters worse, no one--that's right, NO ONE--from my Wednesday small group showed up to play (and that was the intended audience).  After setting the date, it became pretty clear that I chose the wrong date to have people over.  So, then I started branching out and inviting other people.  I invited my friend whose kids were in preschool during the play time.  I invited the new girl who was singing with the band at church that week.  And I ultimately prayed that God would use that day to bless SOMEBODY.  In the end it was a good way to build a new friendship and to rekindle an old friendship.  I wasn't real successful on the kid play activity front, but oh well.

Since that time, in the back of my mind I've known that I was going to have to have another play date.  I even told the moms who couldn't make our last date that I would schedule another day.  Part of me believed my words; part of me wanted to back out.  And then Sunday, my Wednesday small group leader's wife hit me up about hosting another mommy/kid event.  So of course, I said sure!

Then I had a panic attack.  Okay, not really, but it did occur to me that this time around I'm going to have to host a kid friendly event.  So what did I do on Monday night?  I spent the evening on Pinterest looking for a Thanksgiving craft project (preferably one that doesn't require paint) that might be suitable  and easy to put together.   As I realized what I was doing a wave of humility just hit me.  I was so convinced that I was not one of "those" moms and yet, out of necessity, here I was planning a craft activity for a bunch of preschoolers!  I was literally eating my words as I was being a Pinterest Mom!

As it turns out, play date #1 was a good learning experience for me.  I'm a total bore when it comes to entertaining children.  That's why there's play date #2.  This time, I'm going to try a little harder.  Maybe I'll even have some cool pictures to share with you all of some edible craft projects--yes, I said edible! 

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment