Thursday, October 18, 2012

Where's My Glow?


It's been awhile since I've shared a pregnancy update.  I guess I figured that no one would care to read about my aches and pains and ailments. But surprisingly, people keep asking me to my face how I feel.  I still haven't figured out the best way to respond to that question, because I really just assume that they're being nice.  I'm not sure if anyone wants to know the REAL truth.

Last week I told my pastor (whose wife is 6 months pregnant) that I was day-to-day.  Yesterday I told someone, "well, I'm feeling great today."  But honestly, I think it's safe to say that overall, physically speaking, I'm miserable.  I've had most pregnancy "symptoms" that you will read about in a textbook.  From numbness in my fingers to morning sickness (yes, still!) to contractions that have me doubled over in pain to constant congestion I'm pretty much just enduring these last few weeks.  And I apparently look like I could give birth any minute, because you should see the surprised expressions I get from people when I tell them that I'm actually due in December.  Thank goodness that this isn't my first rodeo.  In about 5-6 weeks, Baby G should be in my arms and my body should be doing it's job to revert to my "normal" state. 

Recently, Dear Husband and I re-watched the movie What to Expect When You're Expecting.  I have to be honest that the first time I watched it, the movie seemed strange and disjointed since it followed so many characters.  But now that I'm pregnant and can totally relate to Elizabeth Banks' character, it's a pretty funny movie.  I love the message it sends--even though we think we know what to expect when we're expecting, the "expecting" experience is an individual and unpredictable experience for every future mommy and daddy.  And we don't all get our glow while being pregnant. 

I have to remind myself of that fact every day.  Because when I see other extremely pregnant women who only have a little "bump," or when I see pregnant women out running, or when I see pregnancy photography of women who really do glow, it's kind of depressing.  I definitely don't have a glow yet.  But I'm confident that the little girl growing inside of me will be my glow very soon.

1 comment:

  1. This came up on my Google alerts so I just had to comment. I named my whole blog "Where's My Glow?" because I felt exactly like you did!
    Even if, like me, you don't get that pregnancy glow, the minute you hold your little girl you will glow all over with happiness.
    Best wishes x

    ReplyDelete