Monday, November 19, 2012

A Better Day


"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you unto myself, that where I am you may be also." John 14:3

I'm officially 37+ weeks pregnant at this point.  That means that I'm safely within the "full term" parameters and will be allowed to deliver Baby G should labor progress.  I say progress, because I've been having contractions for approximately 15 weeks now and am looking forward to seeing those contractions turn into real active labor.  Oh how the waiting is killing me.

Sometimes I just sit around and talk to Baby G about what fun she's missing on the outside.  I tell her about her brothers and how they're about to give me a coronary.  I tell her about her pink and green room with all the flowers and frills.  I tell her about the fun outfits, hair bows, and shoes that I've been collecting for her.  And I tell her how much fun it's going to be when we get to do girly things together.  Despite all of these conversations, as of right now, she seems to be content where she's at.

Thinking about how exciting it is to prepare for a new baby makes me think about the conversation that Jesus had with his disciples prior to his death when he told them.  "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you unto myself, that where I am you may be also." John 14:3. As is evident from their behavior prior to the crucifixion, the disciples had no concept of what Jesus meant by this verse.  They couldn't fathom the greatness of their home in heaven that Jesus had prepared for them, because they were too comfortable with their earthly home.  And yet, Jesus, knowing full well what the future had in store for his followers, repeatedly told them about the joy set before them in heaven.

It has occurred to me that I am too often "comfortable" with life on earth and, like the disciples, am not really getting Jesus' point.  Just like Baby G, I get comfortable knowing that my parent is there, yet I don't get to experience the joy of being in the glorious, physical presence of my Father.  Yes, God has given me an earthly existence with glimpses of Himself through His Word, His creation, and His Holy Spirit.  But in Heaven, I will finally get to see and be with my Creator.  It is there that I can fully enjoy Him.

At the latest, my doctor has promised that I will finally get to hold Baby G on November 30.  And when she's in our arms and can finally cuddle with her Daddy, I will not forget how glorious it will be to someday be in my heavenly Father's presence when He allows me to enter my eternal home.  Until then, let me not grow complacent and comfortable with my life on earth.

While meditating on John 14:3 this morning, I just wanted to sing this song as I contemplated the future that my Heavenly Father has prepared for me.  Oh what a day that will be!


No comments:

Post a Comment