Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sand Fleas and Leprosy



It's Wednesday!  That means it's Survivor night, or as my 3 year old says it's Surbibor night.  Yes, we are those parents who actually allow our children to watch Survivor after Wednesday night church (of course, we fast forward and edit when necessary).  If it weren't for Survivor, we might not get our children to leave church.  I guess Wednesdays are just fun days for my gang.

Last Wednesday on  Survivor, they told the stories of camp-life and how it was taking a toll on some of the contestants.  At one camp in particular, they seemed to have a problem with bug bites and fungus.  It was gross, but not out of the realm of fascinating (as a school nurse I saw all kinds of weird things and it never got old).  As the camera showed different angles of this girl's body covered in red, puffy welts all I could do was groan.  The poor girl looked like she'd been attacked by sand fleas.  I would know, because it happened to me once too.  I think that incident has scarred me for life as I'm not a fan of sitting anywhere near the beach.

When my son saw this poor girl, he gasped!  He shook his head and informed us that he was pretty sure he knew what was wrong with the girl on Survivor.  I half expected him to tell me that she had been attacked by ants--he has a fear of Texas fire ants.  But I wasn't prepared for his actual diagnosis.  He informed us that she probably had the same disease that Naaman had.  You know, Naaman the leper who dipped seven times in the Jordan River and was miraculously healed of LEPROSY.  Yeah, that Naaman from 2 Kings!  Apparently my son listened very well in Sunday School, but his teacher needs to do a better job describing the necrotizing sores that a leper gets.  Because I'm guessing that sand flea bites aren't quite as nasty as leper spots. 

Anyway, the moral of the story is that while watching Survivor, we got the opportunity to recap Sunday's lesson about Naaman being healed.  I love how God gifts us with these special moments when we least expect them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment