Friday, October 11, 2013

Where Have All the Older Women Gone?


picture from a Juicy Couture Ad Campaign

I snickered as I drafted the title to this post.  Some might think I'm referring to our culture where women are going to extreme measures to look young (although newsflash: if we can tell you had plastic surgery then we think you're old!)  But that's really not the point of this post.  When I'm talking about the "older women" I'm referring to the Titus definition of older women--the ones who are instructed to teach the younger women how to love their husbands and children, etc.

During the last decade of my adult life, I've been blessed with older women in my life who have instructed me as a wife, mother, professional, and Christian woman.  My mom has always filled this role in my life and has been involved in "my business" and has taken it upon herself to provide accountability and counsel.  I appreciate this.  (I also know that there other girls with whom she has stepped in to fill this role for as well--including the girls who work under her at her job.)  Similarly, I've had godly women who I have worked with and under at various jobs who have openly instructed and taken care of me: Judy, Donna, Debbie, Katie, Lisa B., Lisa W.  I will forever be grateful for the care coordinators in Houston who taught me how to be a wife when I was a newlywed.  Who knew that choosing a career as a nurse would have allowed me to be around so many older women who have had such a huge spiritual impact on my life?

That said, the supply of interactive Titus-motivated women seems to have dried up.  Aside from my mom, I'm not sure who I would go to for accountability and discipleship.  As far as I know, no one at my job would be appropriate for this role.  And at church (pretty much the only other place I go) there are plenty of older women, but I don't know of any who would have the time or desire to truly get involved in my life.  But at least I have my mom.  Some other girls at church have recently revealed to me that they don't even have godly mothers from whom they can seek guidance.  Thus, they feel like all they've got is other people their age.

I have no doubt that the Apostle Paul would have been sad and disheartened if he could have overheard the conversation I had with these girls a few weeks ago.  How is it possible that the older women aren't even aware that they are needed?  And I don't mean that they're needed to greet people at church with smiles and hugs.  They're actually needed!  Younger women need to be able to interact with these women by phone or in-person outside of the church setting.  Younger women need guidance and affirmation from older women who have been-there, done-that.  Younger women need to know that there is an older woman who will be there for them when their babies scream all day, their husbands are in a bad mood, and they just need someone to pray over them.  We need older women as living proof that life is doable!

I know that there are godly, older women out there somewhere.  They seem to be able to congregate for Senior luncheons, game nights, Sunday School, and political events.  How cool would it be if these women rallied around the younger women at church and actually made themselves useful teaching the women?  Maybe it's time the senior ladies hosted a play date for us moms.  That would be something wouldn't it?!

Addendum: The Juicy Campaign pic at the top is kind of a dream of mine.  I would so love to be that stylish girl with a group of chic older ladies to have my back!

No comments:

Post a Comment