Wednesday, February 8, 2012

February Mini Blogs


Where has the week gone?  Despite some very bloggable happenings in my life recently, my ever-tightening schedule has not permitted me to share all of these moments with you.  Not to worry, my blogging will pick up in due time.  Until then, I thought I'd give you a glimpse of my past week by sharing mini versions of what would have been some of my blog posts.

Sunless Tan
If applied incorrectly, sunless tanner is messy.  For whatever dumb reason, I decided that I needed to help my pale complexion by giving myself a fake tan.  And since I refuse to expose myself to UV rays at the tanning salon (who in their right mind would pay for the chance to get skin cancer?  That was soooo something I tried when i was 19!) I decided to use the bottled stuff instead. 

I try this just about every year.  And every year I end up with orange appendages or funny looking ankles.  So this year I decided that more was better.  If I apply more tanner, then streaks will be less apparent, right?  Well, I was wrong.  And to sum up a story that really deserves a much longer explanation, if I don't figure out this stuff soon, I will be wearing tights and jeans for the next few weeks...

Study Time
It's amazing that I spent 4 years in law school and am learning so much in 3 months time!  Over the past week, I've learned that getting a divorce in Texas is a huge pain and really not worth the hassle.  I've learned that if you have a child out of wedlock with someone else prior to getting married, for the sake of your spouse and other children you REALLY need a will.  Otherwise, that child will cash in big when you die.  I've learned that you should be nice to judges because they have lots of discretion.  And I've learned that if a repo man ever shows up, you should scream and "breach the peace" because this forces him to leave and stop the repossession (cool right?).  Plus, I've learned tons of other facts that will probably have no bearing on my law practice in the future.  But still, when you have the uncanny ability to remember useless facts, studying for the Bar is actually kind of fun!

Breast Cancer Research
If you haven't been following the Susan G. Komen vs. Planned Parenthood battle that has been raging recently, you really need to start reading the news.  Apparently Susan G. Komen had decided that sending money to Planned Parenthood for mammograms was not the most cost effective way to provide cancer prevention services.  Thus, they stopped the funding.  Then Planned Parenthood started accusing SGK of being a right-wing organization that wanted to deny services to pro-choice women.  Planned Parenthood pretty much declared war.

For whatever reason, SGK gave in to the public pressure and went against their board's decision and decided to re-fund Planned Parenthood.  And now I'm ticked.  A private charity ought to be able to do what they want with their funds in order to further their goals.  And a few crazy loud people who make up false accusations should not be able to sway a multimillion dollar charity to veer from it's stated purpose.  I've always really liked SGK, but have decided that if they're not able to act as good fiduciaries of their money, then I will find other organizations to whom I will contribute.  Sorry breast cancer research, the liberal femi-nazis have really hurt your cause.  Maybe when you grow a backbone and can really take a stand for YOUR STATED cause, people will feel like you're worthy of their money again.

Camera
I'm in need a good camera.  I detest my current camera because it takes 30 seconds to take a photo, which means that I never get the really great shots of my kiddos.  I'm also not a huge fan of taking photos with my phone or i-pod.  The pics are decent, but they could be lots better if I had a good camera.  If anyone could recommend a great camera for taking pics of kids, I would appreciate it.  I'm thinking I need something that will fit in my purse (which is large), that I can take on vacation, and that is under $500 (preferably much cheaper).   Anyway, if you have any recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

So there you have it, my head may be full of useless facts, my sinus cavities may be stuffed up due to the virus my children have given me, and my blood pressure may be slightly elevated because my  Bar day is near, but I'm still living life as normally as I can.  Now I need to go get my son out of the sink, save the toothpaste from whatever he's doing to it, and memorize the rules for Texas guardianships.  Oh, isn't life fun!

1 comment: