Saturday, January 26, 2013

I Get Leggings

Baby G's newest Juicy sweater and leggings!
 
Last summer, a friend and I took our boys to a jump house full of inflatable contraptions.  The place was full of excited little boys and girls running around like little crazies.  While I was trying to find my two boys in the midst of toddler faces, I kept noticing that the little girls were all wearing these cute little dresses and shorts with leggings.  Somehow, every little girl seemed to be wearing leggings.  At the time, I couldn't figure out why every girl mom had this affinity for leggings.

A few months later, when I found out that I was having a girl, I started shopping for cute little girly clothes.  That's when I noticed that almost every outfit had leggings.  Every store had piles of leggings.  And it seems that every girl is expected to wear leggings.  At the time, it seemed odd.

But now, I get leggings...

When Baby G was a few weeks old, we attempted to dress her up in her frilly dresses in order to get some cute Christmas photos.  Unfortunately, none of her socks or tights fit.  Her skinny little legs just didn't fill out the tights.  I was at a loss, how am I supposed to dress my baby girl in a dress at wintertime if the smallest tights I can find on the market don't fit her?

The answer--leggings!  I know it seems weird, but leggings are a staple in most baby girls' wardrobes, because they're the only leg covering that fit tiny babies.  Plus in a world where diaper covers seem to only come in size "toddler," leggings cover up the diapers and make dresses modest.  This explains why every toddler girl on the planet wears leggings--so they cover up the undies!  

For a boy mom, this revelation was huge.  Leggings aren't just about fashion for most girl moms.  They're actually a necessity.

So the next time all you boy moms wish that you too could buy fun and frilly outfits.  Just know that there is a whole lot more stress to dressing a little girl.  Those frilly outfits only work if you have the right accessories.  Little girls can't just wear tennis shoes and jeans everyday.  Instead, they need the outfit, the matching hair bow (that topic deserves a blog post in itself!), the matching shoes, and the leggings.  What a new and stressful world I have entered!

No comments:

Post a Comment