Tuesday, January 1, 2013

May You Have a New Year of Peace

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." John 14:27


Since today marks the beginning of a new year, I decided that I needed a new word for 2013.  In light of recent events both in my life and in our national headlines, "Peace" seems to be an appropriate word for this new year. 

Growing up, I always kind of thought of peace as a bad word.  I know it's silly, but somehow peace was this hippy concept associated with these 70's peace symbols.  And then there has been the talk of world peace, something that cannot be achieved in a sinful world.  Somehow, I guess I just didn't understand the concept of peace.  Until recently.

 A few weeks ago, when I was lying in a hospital bed and my young son was across town in another hospital's emergency room I realized how wonderful God's peace is.  At that time, I was completely helpless, and I was surrounded by family members who were literally freaking out.  I'm the nurse, and I'm supposed to be the one handling these situations.  But that night, I had to give the situation completely to God. And He gave me peace.  It was amazing

I want to be a person who has peace and confidence that my Heavenly Father is always in control.  I don't want to be known as a person who worries and is constantly afraid.  (Let's be honest, worriers are scared, stressed out people.)  I've heard it said that parents are supposed to worry about their children.  But that's a lie.  We're supposed to trust God to take care of our children, and we're supposed to teach our children to trust God.  We are not supposed to be people characterized by fear.  In Philippians 4, we are instructed to "not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

So 2013 is not a year for fear, but for peace.

1 comment:

  1. And may I add that your calmness and peace gave peace to the rest of us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete