Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Other Children



On occasion, I hear other moms say "Oh, I could never homeschool. What would I do with my other children?" At one time, this was a concern of mine as well.  I mean, I can barely squeak out a few hours to do actual work (for money), and that's when my oldest is playing around the house and actually interacting with the little ones. For the life of me, I couldn't imagine trying to keep the little ones busy while I did school with my responsible, oldest child.  What could the other two get into during our school hours?  They get into plenty when I'm not preoccupied.

Turns out, I was worried for nothing.  The little ones are happy to be right in the middle of our lessons.  And if we need time away from the little ones, Baby G will contentedly sit in her crib listening to music (she can see our homeschool room from her crib).  Mr. T (aka Tornado Man, aka boy #2) is happy to sit at the table with us practicing his fine motor skills with a trace book. Or he'll paint a picture while standing at the easel.  Or he'll watch educational movies and documentaries in the media room.  Or, sometimes he sits and listens to our lessons too.  Regardless, he's just happy to have his own school project to do.

 I've discovered that learning is contagious.  My two little ones actually want to do school with us in the mornings.  Although I have no intention of putting a 15 mo old and a 3 yr old on a formal curriculum, they are pleased when I give them something to do.  I think they've noticed that big brother is accomplishing tasks and is getting positive praise from Mommy and Daddy for all his hard work.  Why wouldn't the other two kids want this as well?  Plus, school looks fun.  It's not this ambiguous place that my son leaves every afternoon.  They are a part of it--and it seems fun!

I can see why homeschooling does not work for everyone. Not everyone has a carefree, adventurous spirit when it comes to learning.  And if mommy doesn't love to learn, why would anyone else?  But if the only thing holding a mommy back is her other children, I'd tell her to go on a 2 week trial and see how things work.  In spite of my own fears, my other children are perfectly content, happy, and are not being deprived by my decision to homeschool at all.  It's amazing how some things are just meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment