Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Bitter Heart Can't Forgive

Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. Ephesians 4:30-32


Have you ever noticed yourself grimace when another person mentions someone else's name.  Come on, don't we all have "that person" in our past who has damaged us in some way?  Haven't we all been the brunt of "that person's" cruel jokes?  Or haven't we all been the victim of "that person's" gossip? 

The other day someone mentioned "that person's" name and I remember rolling my eyes when I heard this name.  I'm so over this person's hurtful behavior.  OR AM I?  It occurred to me that if I have truly forgiven this person, then hearing their name should not elicit a moan from my inner brain or an eye roll.  For the record, "that person" could actually be any one of a handful of people from my past.

It's possible that I'm no longer angry with said persons, but I might be harboring some bitterness towards them.  If that's the case, then I haven't really forgiven these people.  I have been so proud of myself for not retaliating against these people over the years and for "taking the high road."  But it never occurred to me that true forgiveness DOES NOT go hand in hand with bitterness.  I guess I haven't really forgiven these people.

I've had to do some reevaluating this week as I've meditated on Ephesians 4.  I've been called to forgive others in the same way that God has forgiven me.  And forgiveness includes getting rid of bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander, and malice.  God has called me to do more than just ignore the sin and not retaliate.  He's called me to let it go and to forgive unconditionally. 

It may not be easy to "put on" this forgiveness.  But in Christ, I have been given a new self created in the likeness of God, created in righteousness and holiness of the truth (v.24).  I have been given the Holy Spirit, which enables me to forgive in this unhumanlike way described in Ephesians 4. 

Oh how freeing it is to let go of that bitter taste in my heart and to freely forgive.  And how convicting is it to realize that God has forgiven me for so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment