Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Easter Egg Hunt

 

Maybe I'm a bad mother.  Maybe I'm extremely lazy.  Or maybe I really didn't want to tread through the grass at church in my 3 inch heels on Sunday, but I actually really wanted it to rain on Sunday so we could avoid the church Easter Egg Hunt.

On Good Friday, we had a cute little Easter party with some friends, and we had a nice egg hunt in their backyard.  This "practice" egg hunt was very educational for me.  For one thing, I discovered that my youngest child could care less about picking up eggs.  He loved his basket.  He loved the cookies at the party.  And he really loved my friend's dog.  But what you can't see in the above photos, is that his basket is empty.  His loyal older brother had to pick up extra eggs to share.  The Friday party was perfect the guys.  The kiddos were all cute and sweet, and there were no "big kids" to spoil the fun.

But then Sunday rolled around.  It was nasty outside and it occurred to me that rain might spoil the church egg hunt.  To be honest, that was fine with me.  I had visions of my shoes sinking into the ground and getting stuck.  I had visions of my youngest having an empty basket and crying.  And I had visions of my oldest child getting pushed around by eager "big kids."  My sweet little boys aren't quite old enough (or mean enough) to hang with the big kids in an egg hunt.  And I worried about this all through church.

Then I heard it.  At first it was a light patter on the church roof.  But by the end of the service, it was practically monsooning outside.  It was perfect!  Yeah for rain!

And then some smart person announced that the annual egg hunt had been moved to the youth building!  Can you imagine a hundred children running around the old sanctuary chasing eggs?  The thought of it gave me a migraine.  That said, it did cross my mind that I might be a bad parent if I pretended that the egg hunt was off for good.  I couldn't lie to my boys.  So Dear Husband and I crafted a plan.

When we picked our oldest up from his Sunday School class we asked him if he would rather go get his Easter basket from Grandma's house or go pick up eggs.  Much to our relief, he wanted to go to Grandma's.  And that's where we went.

So yes.  I skipped the church egg hunt this year.  Maybe I'm a bad parent.  Maybe I don't like other people's kids pushing around my kids.  Or maybe one egg hunt is plenty for the year.  The good news is that at this point, my boys haven't even asked about Easter eggs.  And of course, my high heels still look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment