Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Saturday Morning Creeps


It's neighborhood garage sale day.  Some people just love this day.  I know some women who literally live for this day.  Who wouldn't want to sort through other people's junk to find a great bargain?

Me.  Call me crazy, but garage sales gross me out.  Oh sure, I've shopped at them before and found some great items (a double stroller comes to mind.)  But generally speaking, I'm a germaphobe and don't want other people's germs on my possessions.  That goes for secondhand stores as well.  It's one thing to buy myself something at a second hand store, but it makes me nervous to purchase children's toys or items knowing that some other child probably drooled and defecated over the item that I might purchase.  No way would I do that to my child.  Can you just imagine placing your child in a high chair that someone else's child pooped in? Ugh. Whether it's a garage sale or second hand store, I'm pretty sure I can utilize my bargain shopping skills to get just as good a deal on a brand new and mostly sterile item--even if I have to buy a lower quality brand.  But that's just me, the germaphobe. 

For whatever reason, antique stores and secondhand bookstores don't tend to give me the same creepy, germ vibe.  This may not make much sense.  But I typically only purchase antiques to place somewhere in my house as decor and not to actually use.  And I typically stick to used adult books and try to buy very few used children's books.  Why?  Because I still have visions of my toddler chewing on something that somebody else's child has sucked on.  Doesn't that just gross you out?  Has this really never crossed your mind when you've picked up a library book from the children's section?

The bottom line is this, if you don't know the person from whom you're getting the used items, how do you know that it's safe and clean?  Obviously, I have some neighbors and family members who strike me as clean people and with whom I would love to trade items.  But venturing into the unknown realm of garage sales and thrift stores makes me want to shower and rub alcohol all over my body.  Yes, I know I'm borderline OCD, but I like knowing from where germs come.  (I blame it all on the science fair project my parents convinced me to do in the 5th grade where I grew my own bacteria.)

Garage sale day also makes me nervous because I don't like the idea of strangers roaming around my neighborhood and property.  I've heard far too many stories about people who've "tripped and fallen" while garage sale shopping and who have sued innocent homeowners.  I have no intention of becoming the victim of this kind of fraudulent personal injury action.  (I know personal injury law, and the fraudulent PI lawsuits like these are the types that give lawyers a bad name.)  Anyway, there's no way I'm going to use my homeowners insurance to pay out a settlement to a garage sale shopper--no way!  Hint: If you want to sell your stuff, sell it online!

That said, I don't just trash all of my hand-me-down items.  I don't even consign most of them.  Instead, I donate to a charity or give my things to people who I know need them.  I figure that for every item I don't need, there's a sweet person or a reputable organization that could benefit from me de-junking my house.  Does that mean that I give away "free potential money" to charities?  Yes.  But it's a great way to avoid garage sale day in the neighborhood.  Last year, our previous church went so far as to have a give-away garage sale at the church where everything was free to whomever wanted to take it home.  And this was an awesome outreach.  It was a way to use junk for good.

You may not get rich being a germaphobe like me.  But using my methods, you can definitely use your junk for good.  And if you are an avid second hand shopper, more power to you.  I just hope you invest in Lysol, Betadine, Alcohol, and whatever disinfectant you can get your hands on.  And while you're out digging through other people's possessions, I'll be at the local discount store seeking my own treasures.  I guess when it comes to a great bargain--to each her own!

1 comment:

  1. You know, at the antique stores all the poop and vomit is probably still there, just decades old. :)

    ReplyDelete