Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Don't Homeschool in a Bubble



"You can't homeschool in a bubble."  I've heard that phrase quite a lot.  Typically, this is what people say when they are trying to get you to join a homeschool support group or a co-op.  They say that you do yourself a disservice (and unknowingly do your child a disservice) if you don't surround yourself with other homeschoolers. 

While I agree that you shouldn't homeschool in a bubble, I disagree with the concept that you must surround yourself with other homeschoolers.  Too often, when homeschoolers do this, they stay in a bubble.  There's just more people in their bubble. 

Okay, so how do you homeschool without getting stuck in the homeschooler bubble (this is the bubble that encompasses not only one family, but the like-minded and homeschool exclusive families as well.)?  Obviously, I don't have a lot of experience with homeschooling and probably can't provide the most educated answer to this question.  But the one thing I do know is that every homeschool mom needs an expert to go to--a teacher with real classroom experience who can guide them through the teaching process.  They need someone who can kick them in the pants when they start turning into homeschool zombies (yes, we all know these people), and someone who can pull them out of a hole when the lesson plans aren't working.  They need someone who can offer creative solutions when the going gets tough or the lessons get boring.

I have been blessed with two relatives who are elementary teachers.  For years, my mom taught in Christian schools, and for the past 5 years, my sister-in-law has been teaching in public schools.  Both teachers have been excellent about answering my questions, looking over curriculum, offering advice on how to plan and evaluate my son's progress, and recommending books or tools that have worked in their own classrooms.  Having real-world experience for me to rely on has been invaluable.  Personally, I prefer having these teachers guide me (and provide constant reassurance) as a teacher rather than relying on other parents to teach my kids in a co-op.  I am aware of my deficiencies, and I love being able learn from "experts" in the educational field. 

Other homeschool parents are a great source of information too.  But I'm slightly tortured by the idea of listening to other parents share their ignorance about education with each other.  Maybe some of the people are super great and know what they're talking about.  And maybe some are not.  How do you sort through the world of homeschoolers to get unbiased information?  Maybe finding someone outside the bubble really is the solution-- someone who doesn't have a stake in the game; someone who can objectively tell you the differences in what various curricula offer; someone who can tell you what they've seen as opposed to what they are doing.

I guess I'm afraid of jumping into a bubble and getting sucked in.  I don't want to turn into a homeschool zombie mom.  And I don't want to drink the juice and lose my creative mojo.  Maybe in time I'll be mature enough to join a group and discern smart from stupid.  But for now, I'm going to have to rely on my "outside sources" to keep me grounded and outside of the bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment