Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Smelly Science Lesson

Week 3 of kindergarten is almost done! All we have left for this week are tennis lessons and some math pages. I can't believe that school is going so smoothly.  For months I fretted about how homeschooling was going to work.  But somehow, the school part of life seems to have just worked out.  I think if we approach everything as a learning opportunity (some would call this living an educational lifestyle), we can have quite a lot of fun.  That's what happened this week. 

Somehow, I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to top today's science lesson.  But come on!  When you see a news headline that reads: "Cow Farts Cause German Barn to Explode" you just have to go with it! And thank you Discovery Channel News people for making a video that provides a fascinating and entertaining explanation of how cow flatulence can cause an explosion.  My 5 year old was almost in tears from laughing so hard at this video:


Generally, I try to avoid body function humor.  I strongly discourage body function sound imitation.  And I frequently censor brotherly discussions concerning said functions.  Sadly, I'm finding this is harder and harder to do with the male wing of my house.  Plus, Daddy and Grandpa are no help on this subject either!  So, when I decided that we should learn about Cow farts today, Mommy really did something bold.  For just one afternoon, I joined "the dark side" and giggled with my son.

If you need a laugh as you head into the weekend, be sure to check out the news story posted above. This surely isn't a conventional science lesson.  And you won't find it in the state-approved textbooks.  But I think it does go to show that it might just be true that homeschoolers do have more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment