Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Newest Supreme Court Ruling

http://mydailyclarity.com/2010/03/healthcare-debate-demonstrates-the-failings-of-us-governance/

I'm guessing that you've probably heard by now, but if you haven't, the Supreme Court has finally ruled on the Obama Health Care bill. And yes, SCOTUS (the Supreme Court of the United States) has found the individual mandate to be Constitutional.

In the news, there's been lots of discussion about the Constitutionality of the individual mandate under the tax power vs. Commerce Clause vs. other clauses.  In plain English for those of you who haven't endured hours of Constitutional law, the Court ultimately found that the individual mandate is valid as a tax under Congress's taxing power (which really does exist in the Constitution.)

Do I agree with this finding?  No.  I mean, our President has repeatedly stated that the individual mandate is NOT a tax, so to interpret it as a tax just doesn't make sense.  (Although, notwithstanding the President's own statements, the taxing power really was the best argument that the government had in this case.)  That said, I don't like being told that I have to buy something.  Nor do I like being taxed out my ears.  It just doesn't seem very American.

And now the fun begins.  Over the next months and years, the health care debate is going to ignite into something fierce.  Today may be disappointing for many, but this fight is a long way from being over.  Stay tuned for lots of excitement.

I know that this isn't my typical blog post topic, but I kind of felt like I should at least acknowledge the monumental decision that was passed down today.  A few weeks ago, I took an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States.  And I guess I feel obligated to engage in discussions about our beloved document and how it is wrongly or rightly interpreted.  If any of you are interested in the taxing power or the Commerce Clause or the Constitution itself, I would encourage you to take the free Constitution class offered online from Hillsdale College or call me and I can loan you my Heritage Guide to the Constitution.  Why should you do this?  Because it looks like every single American really is going to be forced to pay a tax for health care.  Now the law is going to personally touch you.

No comments:

Post a Comment