Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Raising a Southern Belle

 
It's only been 48 hours since I've become consciously aware of the fact that I'm no longer going to be just a Boy Mom, but also a Girl Mom.  I've always heard people say that boys are so much easier, and I think I already know why.

For the last 48 hours, I've in-store and online shopped trying to find the perfect little girl outfits, bedding, and nursery decor.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly did my homework when trying to prepare for little boys, but the process wasn't stressful--and not nearly as expensive. 

I still can't believe that little girls need so much STUFF!  I mean, I'm sure you could provide for a little girl with the bare minimum, but to raise a true Southern belle is lots more work.  She can't just have a onesie and pants.  Oh no!  She needs the dress, the bloomers, the tights, the shoes, the matching hair bow, and a matching sweater or jacket.  And did you know that most stores don't sell all of these items?  (If you know the secret to finding good tights and shoes for a reasonable price, please share!!!) 

Anyway, being a Girl Mom is already hard work--and my little girl won't even be officially joining us for another 5 months!  I can't even imagine how crazy our future is going to be.  But I have to confess that Dear Husband and I are thrilled to be transforming our nursery from a blue nautical haven to a pink and lime green heaven.  And I'm really excited about Baby G's expanding designer wardrobe full of pinks and reds.  (Thanks Grandma, for helping get our Juicy collection started!)

There's just something about raising a girl that's different from raising boys.  There seems to be this extra pressure to make sure that the little girl is raised to be girly and proper.  Or maybe it's the Boy Mom in me hoping that I don't mess up the little girl by raising her with two messy and rough older brothers.  It's possible that most girl moms don't have a clue what I'm talking about.  But somehow, I think that there are some Southern Mamas who understand precisely how hard it is to raise a true Southern Belle!

No comments:

Post a Comment