Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Birthing Class: Do You Really Need It?


Last night I was wandering the halls of a local hospital in search of a bathroom. (Why was I there?  It's a long story--and no, I wasn't there for myself. I was just accompanying someone else who is currently fine.)  Anyway, as a pregnant woman, I became desperate in my search for a bathroom when I realized that the one closest to my waiting room was blocked off.  Thus, I began a long, long trek down multiple hallways until some nice girl pointed me in the proper direction.  Ironically, this bathroom was located near the L & D suite. 

Anyway, while I was on my journey, I noticed a husband and pregnant wife who were leaving the hospital with their arms full of stuff--but with no baby.  I actually felt a stab of pity for them.  2 years ago, I had the opportunity to visit the hospital twice in preterm labor and still leave with no baby. (Thankfully, the 3rd time was the charm when I brought home the cutest little boy.) 

A few minutes later as I was exiting the bathroom, I noticed another couple walking out loaded with things and no baby.  And then, as more couples started leaving the classroom nearby, it occurred to me that these poor souls were taking a birthing class!  I laughed so hard and just wanted to yell "suckers!" to those poor people. 

Don't get me wrong, I think there is definitely a time and place for birthing/parenting classes (i.e. if you're having a home birth or are really committed to no drugs).  And some parents who don't have a clue about childbirth probably need these classes.  But generally speaking, these classes can also be deceiving and can fill daddies and mommies-to-be with unrealistic expectations of the birthing process.  They can also be a huge waste of time and money.

I did not take a birthing class. In fact, my wise doctor informed me that it wasn't really necessary.  Either way, he was still going to deliver my baby.  As it turned out with my first baby, no birthing class could have prepared me for the crazy events that took place.  Plus, my husband really felt better NOT knowing what was going to happen.   He figured that the class would gross him out.   So, as shocking as it sounds, this type-A couple (who were also law students at the time) decided to wing it.  And we survived.  Or more importantly, our son survived, thrived and was sleeping through the night in a matter of weeks. 

So I guess the moral of the story is this: if you want to take a birthing class to be prepared, do so at your own risk.  You'll probably learn some useful things.  But you could just as easily read a book, watch TLC, or wing it like I did.  If you have the time and money to devote to positions, stretches, and breathing techniques (which I never needed), then go for it.  But just remember this: having a baby is unpredictable.  Very rarely does a birth--especially for a first-time mom--go as planned.

If you read my bio you might argue that as a registered nurse, I didn't need the classes because I already knew everything that would be taught at the class.  While it is true that I have a good handle on the stages of labor and the basics of childbirth, nursing school did not even remotely prepare me for the events of my first childbirth experience.  Quite the contrary is true--having a child made me a much more competent nurse (and now attorney).

No comments:

Post a Comment