Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dressing For My Man


As I was getting dressed today, my husband decided to be honest with me.  He informed me that he hates the dress that I picked out to wear.  This really bummed me out, because it was a really cute, long, purple dress that would have looked great with some funky jewelry and a belt.  But then, he went on to inform me that he hates every maxi dress in my closet!  He said that long dresses are frumpy.  He suggested that I invest in sundresses instead.  Huh? Does he even know what a "sundress" is?

At 5'2", with legs like a dancer, I prefer to wear dresses instead of shorts.  But it never occurred to me that I lose my hotness factor by wearing long dresses.  In fact, I've been wearing long dresses for the last 3 summers and today was the first I'm hearing about the fact that my husband detests the maxi dress.  At first I was slightly offended by his candid opinion.  But when I asked why he waited 6 1/2 years into our marriage to tell me he didn't like some of my outfits, he told me that he finally felt comfortable offering his opinion because I have been candidly offering my opinion about his clothes recently too.  (This is true.  The red polo shirt needed to go.)

In my befuddled state this morning, I asked him to show me outfits he did like.  And much to my shock, he pulled out almost every dress I have that hits above my knees.  He appears to also like any dress that looks cute with cowboy boots too.  Interesting...  But still, what's a girl to do when she can't wear half of her wardrobe?  I went shopping.  And my husband generously picked up the tab. 

As I reflect on my insightful conversation with my husband this morning, it made me wish I had asked for his opinion a long time ago.  If I had known that he liked certain outfits, I would have been happy to oblige.  I mean, he's the only guy whose opinion really matters in my book anyway.  So dear, you may pick out dresses for me any day of the week.  But please, leave the shoes to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment