Sunday, June 19, 2011

Lessons I Learned from Dad


In honor of Father's Day, I wanted to share some lessons that I've learned from my Dad over the years...

  • If you walk out of a room and leave the light on, you're just wasting electricity.  If you want to save money, you will always turn off the light.
  • If you're going to buy a car, you should buy new and ALWAYS buy American.  Otherwise, you're unpatriotic.
  • Once you have moved out of your parents' house, you no longer have license to store anything in their closets or garage.
  • Never marry a man who doesn't like sports.  A man who doesn't like sports is like a woman who doesn't like shopping--obviously confused!
  • If you want cable TV, get a job and move out of the house.
  • Money does not grow on trees.  It grows in our bank accounts when we work for it.
  • If you can't afford something, don't send out letters asking people for money.  Get a job and save your own money. I shouldn't feel entitled to anything.  Everything I have is a blessing.
  • Talk radio is the best form of media.
  • It's never too late to get an education, but it's a lot easier to finish school when you're young. 
  • If you want to make Mom happy, take her out to dinner and don't ask her to cook!
I have been one lucky girl to have a dad like mine.  He taught me how to play sports, how to drive a car, how to balance a check book, and how to use a hammer.  He fostered in me a love of politics, a desire to learn, and the ability to not give in to peer pressure.  My Dad has also lived his life as an example of how to be a good parent, a concerned citizen, and a committed Christian.

Thanks Dad for all of your lessons.  Even when you thought I wasn't listening, I learned so much from you.  And FYI, I'll probably be calling you soon, because I'm having trouble figuring out how to use my drill to hang my new curtains...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you learned some valuable things. Sometimes it takes a while to see how smart old guys can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize this is really old, but I just ran across it while reading your TWO post! Your dad is a great man. Of all the memories I have of being around your house growing up I remember 1. Having morning or evening devotions with your family when I spent the night 2. Going to church with your family 3. Going on some sort of church trip with you. What stands out the most is the family devotions. Amazing how those sort of things stick with you for years to come! Both your parents are great :)

    ReplyDelete