Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"My Incisor Needs Brushing"

"From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength because of Your adversaries, to make the enemy and the revengeful cease." Psalm 8:2


I heard a crash yesterday, and this is what I found.  I'm still not sure what crashed, but this scene was too impressive to pass up.  I'm not exactly sure where they managed to find 2 toothbrushes.  But the fact that both boys climbed on a stool together and started brushing their teeth was pretty great.  Other than watching his big brother, I have no idea how the baby knew what he was doing.  I do know that the older one knew exactly what he was doing, because this morning he informed me that his incisors needed to be brushed.  Really, his incisors?

Children are brilliant and sometimes they say the most amazing things.  It doesn't make sense to me how anyone could doubt that man was created after witnessing the growth and development of a child.  There is just nothing spontaneous or accidental about the way a child grows and thinks.  Children are such an amazing display of God's greatness.  The Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary explains this concept so well as it discusses Psalm 8:2. The commentary states, "So manifest are God's perfections, that by very weak instruments He conclusively sets forth His praise. Infants are not only wonderful illustrations of God's power and skill, in their physical constitution, instincts, and early developed intelligence, but also in their spontaneous admiration of God's works, by which they put to shame-still-or, silence men who rail and cavil against God."

I know we all think that our own children are gifted and uniquely special (I mean, have yours ever expressed a need to brush their incisors?), but in reality, all children are unique displays of God's creation.  God put these little works of art in our lives to teach us and to display His greatness.  I know that I have learned so much over the past 3 years about God's character and His love towards me as His child because of the children He has given me.

So the next time you see a child do something brilliant, even if it is destructively brilliant (Honey, you'll see what the baby did to our lamp when you get home), thank God for His greatness.  And enjoy his splendid creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment