Saturday, June 4, 2011

Can't Seem to Avoid the Vacation Drama

We are not dramatic people.  We tend to be rather boring.  But for some reason, every time we go on vacation we seem to be surrounded by drama or disaster.  They make movies about vacations like ours.

Take our honeymoon, for example.  We took an amazing trip to the fanciest resort in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.  It was gorgeous.  The trip was perfect until we had been there for approximately one hour.  I don't know if Montezuma was getting revenge or what, but my poor husband was sicker than I've ever seen him for the rest of our stay. 

Then there was the trip to my cousin's wedding in North Carolina.  The day of our trip, a gunman was on the loose in our little, practically rural neighborhood.  Since the guy had murdered a few people, the police wouldn't let anyone in or out of our neighborhood.  Thank goodness I was at work during the craziness and my husband had been running an errand.  We were both still able to go on our trip, but we never had the chance to return to our house to pick-up luggage.  Then on the way home from NC, someone miraculously found us a flight when American Airlines decided to cancel all airplanes to DFW.

Next was Hawaii.  The trip was perfect and magical until the flight home from Phoenix.  After stuffing himself with a Cinnabun, our one-year-old regurgitated his entire breakfast all over my husband and our seats on the airplane.  It was so gross that they actually let us use the first class facilities to clean up.  Too bad we only had a change of clothes for the baby.  That was also the trip where my cat fell off my parents 2nd floor walkway and practically broke his leg. 

But this last week takes the cake.  We drove to San Antonio for a relaxing week on the Riverwalk.  We had a blast and even considered extending the trip just for fun.  That was until we received a random phone call from a neighbor on Thursday.  She said that water was running out of our house.  Apparently, my father-in-law called a plumber to fix a problem while we were gone.  And within 48 hours of the plumbing work, our house was covered in 2 inches of water--the ENTIRE HOUSE.  Baby toys, purses, shoes, books, computers, work documents, furniture, carpet, and even the kitchen cabinets are a mess.  We're still waiting to see the extent of the damage, but the Dalworth emergency response man said it was really bad.  All I know at the moment is that my house is unlivable for at least 3-5 days and my Frye cowboy boots are a mess!

Anyway, if you've wondered where I've been for the last week, I started out on vacation and am currently still vacated from my home.  Please don't feel bad for me.  Just pray that we get everything worked out with the insurance adjuster next week.  This is just part of life, right?  I know that we should expect trials.  Considering what my trial could be (think of the poor people in Missouri) I can deal with a wet house. God will work it out.  He always does.

1 comment: