Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Getting Left Behind or Taking a New Path?

"'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.'" Jeremiah 29:11-13


I found an e-mail in my inbox last night from a friend who had broken out into hives over the weekend and had just gotten steroid injections.  I think she's freaking out.  That fateful week has finally arrived for her and her legal knowledge is being tested.  That's right, the Texas Bar exam officially started today and will drag out for her and many other poor souls until Thursday.  Technically, I should be there taking that exam with all those souls, but here I am blogging at 9:30 in the morning and debating what work-out video I want to do today--Tahitian cardio or my belly dancing Hip Hop Hip Drop?

It's amazing how different my life already looks because I'm not joining my colleagues in taking the Bar exam this week.  Sometimes I wonder why I put off the exam until February.  Some days I even feel like I'm getting left behind.  But then I go back to Jeremiah 29:11 and remember that I'm not taking this exam, because God showed me that I needed to call upon Him and seek Him before I could plan my life any further.  I was spiraling towards a permanent migraine with my own plans. 

I don't completely understand how I'm going to benefit from a delay in getting my law license, but I don't have to worry about it because someone else has that already figured out.  God promises that he knows the plans for my life.  I just have to follow the same command that His people were instructed to follow.  Call upon God.  Pray.  Seek His guidance. 

This week I have the special opportunity to be a part of Adventure Week at church (a.k.a. VBS) because I delayed my exam.  Obviously, VBS would have been accomplished without me, but I wouldn't have been blessed by the experience if I were testing this week instead.  Recently, I've been asking God what I'm supposed to be doing with my life right now.  And I truly believe that He answered me when I listened to the first night's Bible lesson for the kids at church.  It was the story of the lost lamb.  It was the same story that I heard years ago when I accepted Jesus into my heart. 

God answered my question with a simple story.  He wanted me to delay the Bar exam because He wants me to share His love with other people right now.  This week, He want me to play the piano for song time at VBS.  Next week, He'll show me what I need to be doing.  I am a sheep and He is my Shepherd.  When I was lost He found me.  When I started to stray, He got in my face and nudged me back on the path.  He will lead me where I need to go when the time is right. And thankfully, He understands me.  So much so, that He even gives me confirmation along the way to remind my worrying spirit that I'm still on the right path and headed in the right direction.  Even if it's not the path that I expected to take, it is a new one that leads to a far better place.

I can't wait to see what lesson God has in store for me tonight.  It's amazing how much you learn when your heart is open to God's teaching.  Jeremiah is right, when you seek God and search for Him with all your heart, you will find Him and some of the answers that you need.  Even if it's not the answer you'd expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment