Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Stop and Take the Survey

Do you ever read the bottom of your receipt when you leave a store like Target, Albertson's, or Walmart? I often find a code inviting me to take a survey with the promise that my name will be entered into a monthly drawing for a gift card.  And for some reason, I typically get online and actually take the survey.

Why do I take the survey?  Well, for starters, I firmly believe that I'm going to win a gift card someday.  I know it's a long shot, but I have heard of actual people who have won.  Secondly, I also like to answer the questions because I like to give my opinion. (No surprise to people who know me!) But more importantly, I've learned that if you honestly answer the survey, some stores take your responses seriously.

I can honestly say that Target reads and actively responds to my surveys.  I typically don't have any complaints about Target.  I like their products, I'm pleased with their grocery prices, and I even think their meat department is pretty decent. (Granted, I'm not shopping for a fresh caught Salmon to go home and skin for dinner.) Anyway, on at least 3 occasions, Target has responded to my survey requests.

The first time I realized that Target reads my surveys was when I got mad about baked beans.  I got aggravated because I couldn't find Van Camp's pork and beans at Target. It was the one item on my grocery list that I could never get at Target because my store didn't carry that brand.  And I can't use just any brand of baked beans!  My recipe calls for Van Camp's and it doesn't taste the same with Bush's.  So I told Target that I was going to have to go next door to Walmart if they didn't start carrying my special brand.  And you know what, a week later they had a whole section of Van Camp's.

The next time I saw evidence of my survey response was when they started placing rain check tickets in the baby boy's clothing department.  Apparently lots of baby boys in my area  last fall needed size 12 month clothing.  For weeks, I couldn't find a size 12 months outfit anywhere at my Target.  And since my growing boy desperately needed new pajamas, I thought I would tell Target that I had a problem. And when I complained, they actually placed rain check tags on the baby clothes that I said I liked.  I thought that was a nice gesture.

And most recently, I must have commented that I couldn't find peanut butter filled pretzels at my Target.  I know some people are funny about allergies and peanut butter, but my family has no history of peanut problems and my boys love peanut butter. So when we go to Walmart, I like to pick up a tub of peanut butter pretzels for their snacks.  Unfortunately, Target has not carried this treat--until now.  Yesterday, I was surprised and pleased to find peanut butter pretzels in a huge jar for sale in the snack section!  And if I do say so myself, these are way better than the ones at Walmart!

So, the moral of the story is not only that Target is a great store, but also that if you have a complaint about a store, let them know.  In a tight economy, store owners will do what they can to make their loyal customers stick around.  I can't promise that you'll win the monthly drawing, but you might enjoy your shopping a little more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment