Friday, August 19, 2011

Little Boys Grow Up Fast--Part 2

He chose wisely. 

I'd like to pat myself on the back and say that Mommy did such a great job teaching her son about money, but in reality, he figured out the lesson pretty fast on his own.

Before we picked up our groceries the other day, we decided to browse through the little boy's toy section at Target.  I told my son that it was time to spend his birthday money on something.  So he considered a giant train track and some Caterpillar excavators with cool lights and sounds.  We agreed that the Caterpillar toys were just too cool to pass up.  He's a huge fan of "machines" that move dirt and this was a loud and fun toy.  But before we put the truck in the cart, I explained that for about the same price he could purchase a box of pull-ups.  (See my previous post.) And I wasn't buying his birthday toy without a commitment that I would not need to buy more pull-ups.

This was a no brainer.  The little guy promised that he was a big enough boy to not need to by diapers for his birthday.  (Although for weeks he's been trying to convince me that pull-ups are not diapers.)  And to prove it, he picked out real big boy underwear.  He was so impressive, because he didn't even pick out a pair with Disney characters or super heroes.  My son is a big boy and he's really trying to prove it.

Lesson taught, and lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment