Saturday, August 6, 2011

This is What Girls Do


I was sitting at my desk minding my own business when I heard a sound.  This was a new sound.  Every mommy knows that new sounds can be dangerous and usually need to be checked out.  I soon discovered that I was hearing the sound of water in my kitchen sink where my oldest child was doing dishes! 

My little guy had dragged his stool out of his bathroom and placed it right under the sink so that he could reach the water, soap, and everything else in the sink.  When he saw me he informed me that he was washing his spoon from lunch.  I immediately replied that I was very impressed that he was being such a helper, such a big boy. 

But then he frowned and gave me a troubled look.  He looked me straight in the eye and said in a serious voice, "This is what girls do." Apparently he knew he was helping, but he thought he was doing a woman's job! Of course Mommy had to reply to that one by reassuring him that boys can clean dishes too.

I've never taught my son that girls are supposed to do dishes.  He came to this conclusion entirely on his own.  It looks like the men in his life need to take dish duty a little more seriously.  And when he gets older, it looks like this guy might get "cleaning the dishes" on his chore chart.  I know his future wife will appreciate it. 

1 comment: