Tuesday, August 23, 2011

From Where We Came

"So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him." Genesis 5:23


I've always thought that some people give way too much weight to their ancestry.  I mean, just because a person comes from a family history of sharecroppers or slaves doesn't mean that they are bound to the same occupation or status in life.  At least that's not how it works in the United States.  So I have to confess that in the past, genealogies have bored me to tears.  Who cares that so and so married so and so and then had baby so and so?

That was until I became a serious student of history.  I may not be working on a degree or writing a book, but I am curious about past events that I know nothing about.  As a parent and future home school mother, I feel like I have an obligation to educate myself so that I can pass on more knowledge to my children.  And I'm discovering that true historical research involves genealogical tracing and a study of family history.  It's amazing how much more relevant an historical event can be when you realize that you have direct genetic ties to that event.  That's probably why historical societies like the Daughters of the Republic of Texas require proof of a genealogical link before you can join. (I'm apparently not a candidate.)

Over the past few months, I've been reading about the American Military history on the African/European front during World War II.  When I learned that I lost a great-uncle on Anzio beach, I'll admit that the Italian campaign seemed much more relevant to me.  More on that in another post.

As I've been digging into the book of Genesis with my chronological study Bible, I realized that biblical writers obviously knew the relevance of genealogical tracing too, because the Bible is full of genealogies.  These genealogies provide historical details that only prove the Bible's accuracy and authenticity.  Plus, it's through the family tracing's that God brings forth the blessings and promises that He made to Noah, Abraham, David, etc.  Deep within the family lists are also hidden gems. 

Take Enoch for example.  The man "walked with God and was not for God took him."  Although much speculation has been made about the second half of the verse, the first phrase is so important. Enoch was remembered as a man who "walked with God."  What a cool way to be recorded in history.  That's how I want to be remembered.  This verse made me reconsider how I'm living my life.  What would my verse say? 

And to think that all that inspiration came from a verse right smack dab in the middle of a genealogical list.

No more am I going to read genealogical lists in the Bible for the soul purpose of looking for baby names.  (Come on, haven't you tried that?)  I think I'm going to take these family lists seriously.  I'm going to read them to my kids.  And I'm going to find the hidden gems.  Maybe family history and genealogical tracings are more relevant than I first thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment