Monday, August 15, 2011

My Bible Study Challenge: Know More Than The History Channel

"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me." John 5:39


Every Monday morning I typically find 1 or 2 History Channel shows recorded on my DVR.  They don't spontaneously get there, but my in-house historian gets really excited about and records the strangest shows when he's home.   A few weeks ago, there was a special about biblical prophecy and Babylon.  This one was actually interesting. While I didn't agree with everything I had heard, I realized that my historical context for the Bible is poor.  Growing up, we studied timelines and historical charts in school and Sunday school, but there is still so much that I need to learn.  So I decided to try something I've never done before.  I bought a Chronological Study Bible.

I feel like I'm getting ready to start an adventure.  I have no idea what order the books have been placed in this Bible and I have no intention of cheating and figuring it out prior to reading that section.  Instead, my goal is to approach this Bible as if I've never read it before.  I can't wait to see what I learn this time around.

In John chapter 5, Jesus says that the purpose of reading Scripture is not to be saved by the Scripture.  Instead, God's Word is a testimony about Jesus and the salvation that He offers us through His blood.  With that in mind, I'm off an adventure of Hebrew, Persian, and Greek history.  I can't wait to see how the biblical accounts of these historical eras tell the story of Jesus.  My Bible calls this "Theological History."  So I am now on a quest to become a Theological Historian. (The last time I went on a quest to do something, I actually graduated from Law School. So watch out world!)

No longer shall I watch History Channel shows on TV with confusion on my face.  In the future, I hope to be able to answer these shows and to be able to explain the truth to my children--straight from God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment