Thursday, December 29, 2011

Giving Up or Being a Realist

http://www.babyrazzi.com/2011/12/20/
I've had a war going on in my brain for the past week.  Do I finally give in, or do I hold on to my convictions and stay strong?  Well, I finally gave in.  I bought sweats.  Then I wore them out in public.  Even worse--I wore them with my tennis shoes!

My worst nightmare is to wake up some morning and realize that I am one of those desperate women that you see on those makeover shows.  You know, the ones who are moms and only wear sweats during the week and jeans on the weekend.  Oh, these shows make me so sad.  It's like these women have given up the joy of being a stay-at-home mom.  They've lost their identity in a closet of baggy, shapeless sweats.  These women don't have a clue how fun it can be to wear a cute little dress and wedges and to walk into a public place with their little boys who are wearing matching GAP kids' attire.  In my mind, that's the awesomeness of motherhood--showing off your adorable children and being proud to be their mommy.  It's only for a brief time that a woman has the opportunity to enjoy her little ones, so why not make the most of it?

Anyway, it occurred to me this past week that I don't own many practical winter clothes.  I own dresses that I used to wear to law school or fancy heels and cute little shirts and sport coats.  Or I own winter maternity clothes.  (And we all know the rule--if you're not pregnant you are NOT allowed to wear maternity clothes.)  Unfortunately, I don't own many clothes that are practical for this current time in my life.  So as a stay-at-home mommy who needs to sit at my desk and study all day while taking breaks to do laundry and Lysol my house, it kind of makes sense that I need comfy clothes for this new lifestyle.  Thus, I needed sweats.

I did my best this week to purchase some cute matching work-out outfits.  I'm really trying to give off a glamorous vibe in my work-out attire like some of the celebrity moms do (see Nicole Richie above).  I'm hoping that wearing a put together outfit and actually doing my hair and make-up each day will keep me from becoming a faceless mommy in uniform.  But I have to wonder if the work-out clothes are like a gateway drug to the world of being a give-up?  Or is it possible to keep up a stylish look while wearing spandex and cotton?  I certainly hope so. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Texas sunshine will return soon with a little heat wave behind it.  Then I can break out all the sun dresses and beautiful, comfy clothing of summer.  Until then, I'm going to make sure that my nightmare of becoming Mrs. Give-Up doesn't become a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment