Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Out of the Fog

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him...Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret--it leads only to evil." Psalm 37:7a, 8


I think I'm starting to come out of the fog.  Dear Husband and I had a strange weekend.  Less than 12 hours before we celebrated our 7th anniversary, someone really dropped a bomb on us. You know how they say ignorance is bliss?  Well, it's also true that being "in the know" can be excruciating.  Sometimes knowledge brings with it responsibility and a need to take action.  Sometimes knowledge means you just have to sit tight and keep your mouth shut.  So, in light of the information that was shared with us, Dear Husband and I realized that we were between a rock and a hard place.  (Hey, did I actually use that phrase correctly?  I'm always getting my sayings mixed up.)

Anyway, when I woke up on my anniversary, I was angry.   What was supposed to be a day of wedded bliss turned into a day of agonizing discussion.  Were we supposed to "intervene" in the situation at hand, or were we supposed to go on with life with this new-found knowledge as if we didn't know it?  And regardless of our decision, is it possible that we will ever be at peace with this situation?

Well, God is also very timely.  In my devotions yesterday, He gave me this verse--and an entire chapter on anger issues!  Psalm 37 is God's promise to me that I just need to give the uncomfortable situations and knowledge to Him.  Verse 8 even goes so far as to warn that fretting only leads to evil. Thus, my anger and worrying is not helping.  God is the great and ultimate intervener.  I am not. 

I'm really not convinced that my initial response of anger was actually sinful.  But, my brooding and and my bad attitude were sinful.  For 2 days I have been unproductive.  I've been physically and mentally exhausted.  But yesterday evening when Dear Husband talked to me about giving it to God, I did.

This morning, despite the dreary winter day outside, I'm seeing the first rays of sunlight.  I have joy that I have a personal relationship with my God who loves His people enough to direct their steps.  If I am patient, I know I'll see His work in the lives of those around me and I know God will direct my steps.  He can handle the situations that I cannot.  He can work in ways that are miraculous and amazing.  He can set the prisoners free.  He can make the blind to see.  And in my own life I know that "God is so good, He's so good to me."

1 comment:

  1. And amidst all that, I forgot to wish you both a Happy Anniversary! I thought about it all day, but when we saw you, I totally spaced it! How terrible of me! So, Happy Anniversary to my very best girlfriend and sweet husband!

    ReplyDelete