Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It's Minnesota Outside


You know you're raising Texans when they think 60 degrees means it's cold outside.  I have to confess that I kind of agree.  After enduring what felt like an Arizona summer with Florida humidity, it's hard to fathom the idea of wearing a coat. 

Texas buildings, churches, and restaurants  are not equipped with "coat rooms."  Thus, if you choose to wear a coat somewhere, you can bet that you'll have to drape it over the back of your chair or literally carry it around.  If you choose to wear it around (like you can do up north) you will die of heat exhaustion.  Store owners in Texas adjust their temperatures with the expectancy that their shoppers are going to be wearing jeans year-round.  Thus, in the summer time, if you're dressed for warm weather by wearing something sleeveless with flip flops, you'll freeze.  Conversely, in the winter, if you wear a sweater and boots with your jeans and your coat, you'll be sweating profusely before you even reach the check-out counter. 

This conundrum is probably the reason why southerners tend to wear their summer clothes with sweaters in the summer and why you rarely see them actually wearing coats in the winter. Of course, I love coats about as much as high heels and have no intention of NOT wearing my coat.  So, I've just learned to take it like a lady and deal with the "glisten" that I get when I'm hot.  Oh-- and I almost constantly run my AC in the car on full blast during the winter.

Regardless, I'm learning to enjoy the random wintery blasts when we get them.  My boys get all excited when the temperature drops in the 50's because they think it will snow.  And every time my oldest thinks it's cold enough to snow, he informs me that "it's Minnesota outside."  Since he's never actually been to Minnesota, this always makes me laugh.  According to my 3 year old, we've had a lot of Minnesota in North Texas lately.  And no--we still haven't seen a drop of snow. 

For the sake of my little guys, I kind of hope we get a real taste of Minnesota soon.  But in the even that we don't, I'm thinking a taste of Hawaii would suit me just fine.  But this is Texas.  You never know.  As they say, "if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait five minutes!"  Time will only tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment