Monday, May 2, 2011

Predictably Faithful--Even at Home

"He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much." Luke 16:10

 You know that question that human resource people like to ask in an interview, "What is your greatest strength?" I hate this question.  But I have a really great answer. I say, "I'm dependable. If I tell you I'm going to do something I will make sure it gets done." Interviewers eat this up.  You know why?  Because it's hard to find dependable people.

And it's really hard to accomplish anything with people who don't keep their word.  You know, the people who never show up on time; the people who don't actually call you when they say they will; the people who "forget" what they agreed to do.  These are the people who drop the ball on the little things so that you never want to trust them with something really big.

Even though I've always been a reliable employee in the workplace or at church, sometimes I do drop the ball on the little things.  I forget that keeping my word at home is just as important as keeping my word with my boss.  I need to remember that my word matters--even at home!  If I tell my husband that I'll take out the trash, I need to do it--today.  If I assure my son that he can help me make brownies, I need to make sure that he has that opportunity.  If I make an appointment at the doctor's office, I need to show up at the time I agreed upon.  And if I tell someone I'll call them, I actually need to pick up the phone and do it.

Luke reminds us that faithful people don't drop the ball when it comes to the little things.  They're meticulous and reliable.  They are predictable.  Isn't this the kind of testimony you want?  I know that I want be described as faithful. Let's start taking our words seriously and make sure our actions match up to our words--even at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment