Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Where are the Trees?

Have you ever cleaned up your DVR by deleting old recorded ball games or strange documentaries that your husband recorded off the Military channel?  Well, I used to be nervous about erasing shows off my DVR until I realized that my husband is not that worried about it.  If a show has been on the DVR for about 48 hours, it's fair game to be deleted. But my son has a completely different view about his shows.  Keep in mind that my son is only 2 years old.

My son is obsessed with Sid the Science Kid. Personally, I rather like Sid.  Every day he goes to preschool and learns about a new science concept.  And my little boy learns right along with him.  It was pretty incredible when I realized that my little guy new the colors of the rainbow--in order (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet).  There's something about a 2 year old saying "indigo" that cracks me up.  Anyway, this is a great show that I support and it's sooooo much better than Sesame Street.  Growing up I wasn't allowed to watch Sesame Street because it was "overstimulating."  If you've ever tried to watch it, you'll understand what my mother meant by that term. Sorry, I regress...

So being the forward thinking mother that I am, I got smart and programmed my DVR to record Sid every morning at 8:30 am on PBS.  This idea worked beautifully.  For some reason little people like to watch their shows multiple times in a day, so having it recorded on the DVR really helped me entertain my little guy while I studied. 

Well, he got spoiled.  He realized that his favorite episodes were available whenever he wanted.  So for a few weeks we watched the rainbow show every day.  Then we watched the inertia show every day.  And then, I think he liked the water show.  Regardless, we ended up with about 20 unwatched episodes on the DVR that were just taking up space.  So I smartly reviewed the shows and deleted the ones that he never asked for and the ones that I wasn't as interested in--like the recycling show, the pollution show, etc. (I'm not really into the Green movement.)

And then it happened. The next day, my little guy requested the Tree episode.  Of course we didn't still have that episode because it was one of the Green episodes that I erased!  I tried my best lawyer's persuading argument and he still refused to watch any other show that was still on my DVR!  And he cried. 

Today, Sid was about a tree stump and animal habitats and I knew that it had to be THE ONE.  So I called him out to show him the preview and he this is what he said, "The tree one is a good one.  This is not a good one."  But being visibly upset, he still sat down and watched.

I guess the moral to the story is to be careful when deleting your DVR.  Or maybe don't let your kids know that you record their shows.  Or maybe you should never delete the trees!

1 comment:

  1. And by the way, not all weather and rain shows are created equal! I like your new look!

    ReplyDelete