Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lessons From My Mom


I’ll never forget my first science fair project.  My problem was “What is the best way to clean up an oil spill on water?”  That fourth grade project was where I really learned about my mother.  It didn’t take long for me to realize that school projects were going to be harder than I thought.  My mom actually wanted me to measure and carefully cut out the pieces of my project.  I had to use a certain type of glue so that my presentation board wasn’t lumpy.   I had to type my project, because handwritten work didn’t look professional.  I had to memorize my presentation, because judges wanted me to know what I was talking about.   I had to display and present an experiment that actually worked.   And I had to use Bible verses appropriately to support my project.  My mother was a perfectionist, and she expected me to do my best.

As it turned out, my mother was right about my project.   I not only won my fourth grade science fair, but I also placed very high at the state regional science fair.  And in fifth grade, I had another winning project at the district and state levels.  It wasn’t because I was the smartest student in my class or because I was the best orator.  And it certainly wasn’t because I had the most unique project.  Instead, it was because my mother invested time and effort into helping me become successful.  She certainly didn’t do my projects for me.  Instead, she guided me, supported me through the process, and taught me some very important life lessons.

My mom taught me that I have to do my best in everything that I do.  She taught me that if I do a task right the first time, I never have to repeat it.  She taught me that I should always go above and beyond what I’m asked to do.  She taught me that if I wanted to do something bad enough, I could find a way to get it done.  And she demonstrated to me that I must pray about and commit what I’m doing to the Lord.

I’ve had quite a few projects since my fourth grade science fair project, and my mother has been there to support and guide me through each task.  She fed me and did my laundry during nursing school.  She helped me plan my wedding.  She encouraged me to go to law school and made sure that I met my deadlines.  She cleaned my house and took care of me during pregnancy.  She watched and loved my babies while I finished school.  And she’s prayed for me every step of the way.

I am very blessed to have my mother.  She’s my cheerleader, my role model, and my best friend.  I hope that I can instill some of her lessons in my children someday.  I wish every girl could be blessed to have a mom like mine.

1 comment: