Friday, May 13, 2011

It's Never too Late to Graduate

"You  need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised." Hebrews 10:36


Yesterday I had the privilege of watching my dad graduate from college with his MBA.  This was a very special day for my family.  My dad has always wanted to finish the college degree that he started before I was born, but for various family reasons, he wasn't able to go back to school until a few years ago.  It was really inspiring to see him head back to college.  Not only did he just go back to college, but he did it whole heartedly and he did it well.  First, he earned his bachelor's degree in accounting.  Then he went to work for an accounting firm.  Next, he passed his CPA exams--on the first attempt.  And yesterday, he wrapped up the whole process by finishing his MBA. 

I'm sure if you asked my dad if he wished he had graduated years ago, he would have said yes.  But, he persevered and made it happen when most people would be focusing on retirement.  As someone who worked full-time during my first year of graduate school, I can testify that my Dad's accomplishment is impressive.  His grades were almost a perfect A+ in every class.  And his work never suffered.

I'm sure there were days that my dad thought about quitting and just enjoying life, but I'm glad he didn't.  When I graduated from high school he made me promise that I would go to college.  And I did.  I think knowing that a college degree was so important to my dad inspired me to go to law school too.  I'm just glad he was willing to persevere and finish what he started.  He's an example to me and to my kids.  And I hope he inspires you too.

It's never too late to finish what you start.  And if you are following God's will for your life, your perseverance will be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Gary! What a well deserved accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete