Monday, May 16, 2011

My Commencement

Saturday marked the official end of my student career and the official beginning of a new life as we know it.  For the first time in 6 1/2 years of marriage, one of us is NOT in graduate school.  And for the first time in many, many years, I was able to wake up this morning knowing that I can do whatever I want today.  I don't have any deadlines or obligations to meet this morning.  I feel like I'm on vacation, but I think I'm experiencing normal life...

Just to fill you in on the excitement this weekend, I thought I'd post some pictures of the fun and celebration.  We started Saturday morning at the University Commencement ceremony.  Only about 30 law students showed up, but my friend and I made a deal that we would come and enjoy the day together.  Here are some pics of the ceremony, my law school buddy and me taking it all in, and our commencement speaker the U.S. Senator from Texas, John Cornyn.

 


 Later that evening, the law school had our official hooding ceremony in the Dedman School of Law quad (that's what we called the courtyard between all the law buildings.)  Professor McKnight, wearing some ornate regalia, led processional of professors and esteemed guests.  And then we had a surprise visit from the the Texas Governor, Rick Perry.  It was a long ceremony, but the pomp and circumstance of the affair was very SMU.


 

 

 And of course, the entire celebration would not have been complete without the people who have made my entire educational experience possible--my husband and kids.  I've been a law school spouse, and it's hard.  My husband is going to get jewels in his crown for standing by me, offering support, and being there for me every step of the way.  The degree and the experience were great, but having a husband and kids who love me is far better.  So to my favorite attorney and my precious law babies, Thanks!  I Love you guys!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am disappointed you did't show the shoes you were wearing to match that fabulous blue and red ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, congratulations! So proud of you and your incredibly hard work!! It was such a special day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually wore 2 pairs of shoes on Saturday! I had a pair of really high brown heels at commencement. But for hooding, we were told not to wear heels since we were sitting and walking on the grass. I ended up opting for 3 inch wedges! Not quite as fun as I would have liked...

    ReplyDelete