Friday, October 21, 2011

There's No Whining in Baseball

"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of other." Philippians 3:4


I have had a really bad attitude lately.  Like the woman in the picture, I've been tempted to take an unnecessary shopping spree and to treat myself to something nice.  I guess you could say I've had the post-season blues.  As a baseball wife, it has become clear to me that when our favorite teams make the playoffs, October is not my own. 

The frustration started out a few weeks ago when I couldn't rsvp to a baby shower or attend a farm open house with a friend because I didn't know who, when or if the Ranger's were going to play that day.  I eventually convinced my husband to have a guy's night and to attend the ALDS without me.  A week later, I couldn't plan my husband's birthday party because we didn't know who, when, or where the Rangers were playing in the ALCS.  This week I actually went with him and some friends to the game.  That's the game that had 2 rain delays and lasted until midnight.  Yuck!  Now we're in the World Series.  My husband is psyched about going to the game on Saturday, and I'm going to stay home and "babysit."  Then Sunday, our church group is having a baseball watching party.  I can't seem to escape baseball fever. 

This is my proof of life shot from the ALCS. You just can't see me because I'm taking the picture from inside my poncho.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good ballgame as much as the next guy.  (Sorry girls, my baseball knowledge really is on the guy level.)  I just don't love living a life that revolves around a sport.  I don't love the fact that I can't plan ANYTHING during the month of October without considering what the Rangers are doing or might be doing.  (Only a guy could come up with such an unpredictable playoff schedule!)  I also have to have a special red, blue, and denim wardrobe that is ballgame appropriate for the month of October too.  (In Texas, the weather could be anywhere from 40-90 degrees this time of year.)  And this wardrobe doesn't include cute shoes.  I'm just tired of feeling like I'm drifting through October.  This month is not my own.

Then I realized why it's so important for me to be a nutty baseball fan every fall--because my husband loves it!  Baseball is my husband's interest.  And for the sake of my relationship with my husband, I have to embrace baseball too.  When we started dating, I learned as much as I could as fast as I could.  By the time I started law school, I could actually out-talk the guys when it came to baseball.  When we got married, my husband coached off-season high school baseball and I learned to keep the book.  I tried to be an involved coach's wife.  Then when we had boys of our own, I have been completely supportive in teaching and exposing our kiddos to baseball.  At this point, I can't back down now.

October belongs to my husband, as it should.  I get 11 months of the year to plan and coordinate our activities.  This month is all his.  I love you dear and I'm sorry about my whining this month.  Yes, I really do like baseball.  And you still owe me--I so called it that Ian and Elvis were going to win us last night's game!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I love you too. I am truly blessed to have a wife with such diverse interests...baby showers and farm open houses...?? I've been a little preoccupied this month, but I totally missed the farm open house thing. You absolutely should have gone to that one...

    ReplyDelete