Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Beautiful Rooms

"By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures." Proverbs 24:3-4


I had a nice chat with a friend the other day.  She and I have both noticed that we seem to be missing out on this new "creative mommy" trend.  Apparently, it is in vogue again to have homemade decorations (a.k.a. arts & crafts) displayed throughout one's home.  We both cracked up laughing at the thought of hanging our own arts and crafts in our houses.  We both went to nursing school.  We might be able to deliver babies or put a cast on a broken bone, but neither of us feel we are remotely qualified to hang our own original pieces of art in our homes.

I am definitely in awe of "shabby chic" friends who can whip up their own center pieces and wall art. I just can't do it.  I need instructions.  Of course I can read a book or a website and copy someone else's creative ideas.  But I can't interpret my own feelings and emotions into amazing design concepts.  Nope.  I'm a catalog girl.  I find pretty things and I buy them. 

Thankfully, Proverbs reminds us that we don't have to be interior designers or budding artists to have attractive and charming homes.  We also don't have to have the best floor plan or an unlimited budget.  Instead, if we build our homes, our families, and our lives around wisdom, understanding and knowledge, we will automatically fill our lives with rare and beautiful treasures. 

It's such a relief to know that to be the "perfect housewife" I don't have to own a sewing machine or a hot glue gun.  I just need God's Word.  I need a dedicated prayer life.  And I need a commitment to learning and growing in my understanding of who God is. 

Hopefully if you ever come to visit me you won't be disappointed by my personal design style.  (Thank you Kirkland's and Pottery Barn for all your inspiration.)  Hopefully, you will be able to see the rare and beautiful treasures in my home that reflect what my husband and I seek to build--a home built on God's wisdom, understanding, and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment