Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Phone Call

"Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him..." I Corinthians 7:17


I received an unexpected phone call yesterday.  It was from one of the Deans from my former law school who was calling to see if I was interested in a particular job offer that had come across her desk.  Despite the fact that the job was not something that I felt qualified for, somehow I made the list of potential candidates.  It was flattering to be considered.  So I thanked the Dean and then explained my current family/work situation.

As I described my current situation to the Dean, I wasn't sure how she would feel about me at that point.  Much to my surprise, she informed me that I had made a very wise decision to not pursue the big firm job right now.  She told me that my work situation was ideal.  And she told me that I had made the right decision as a mother to do what I'm doing.

I almost fell off the couch when I heard that.  Despite the career service lectures that I had heard for 4 years describing the ultimate law career in "big law," someone from career services was agreeing with my decision to not be a big firm lawyer!  Not only that, but the Dean, a mother herself, was actually telling me it was much more important to be a mom right now!  It was a nice confirmation for me to be reminded that I had made the right career choice.

Over the course of the last 6 months, I've come to realize that God wants me where He has me right now.  Despite knowing that I am where I'm supposed to be, I still have days where I wonder what in the world I'm doing.  I really do ask questions like "Why did I ever go to law school?" or "How am I ever going to feel good about doing housework?"  For the record, I don't enjoy housework.  Yet, I know that I'm supposed to be at home doing housework!  And when I start having these kinds of thoughts, I begin to feel sorry for myself and get frustrated. 

Every once in awhile, I need a gentle reminder that I need to accept the place in life that the Lord has assigned to me.  Yesterday's reminder came in a telephone call.  I'm so thankful that God is patient with me and doesn't slap me upside the head every time I start to have doubts or fears.  He is faithful.  He sends His confirmation messages in His own, gentle way. 

Just remember that the next time the phone rings and you don't recognize the number, it might be a telephone call that God wants you to pick up.  That phone call could be a gentle reminder of God's calling for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment