Sunday, April 3, 2011

Digging Up the Past...

Friday afternoon I was sick to my stomach.  I was actually scared of this weekend. Why?  Because I was supposed to coordinate and attend my 10 year high school class reunion on Saturday.  Knowing how worked up I was about the event, a lot of people would have told me not to go. But I was the class president--and there were only 18 people in my class!  It would have been obvious if I had skipped. 

I was really afraid of digging up the past.  I have tried (and succeeded) to suppress many memories from high school.  My good memories were with my church youth group involving church camp, ski trips, mission trips, pool parties, and movie nights.  And my bad memories involved my high school, mean girls, a horrible teacher, and some boys who were just cruel.  The funny thing is that on paper, high school was a success.  I was on the student council, praise team, yearbook staff, cheerleading squad, National Honor Society, and tennis team.  I even had great relationships with most of my teachers.  I just didn't enjoy high school.  Thankfully, life has only gone uphill since then.

That said, I'm really glad that I attended my 10 year reunion.  9 of the 18 people showed up on Saturday.  It's weird how we all went different ways after high school, but we're all still so much alike.  Most of my class is married and have started or are getting ready to start families.  I think we all share many of the same values.  And we're all currently attending Bible teaching churches.  It was neat to see that all the time and money our parents invested in a Christian education paid off--at least spiritually-speaking.

When I graduated from high school 10 years ago, I pretty much wanted nothing to do with most of my classmates.  But now, I kind of like them.  Ok, I had fun with them and would definitely be interested in hanging out with them in the future.  I guess time, life experience, and spiritual growth has healed some wounds.  The past wasn't as bad as I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment