Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mommy Etiquette at the Park

<a href="http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=13358&picture=park-playground">Park Playground</a> by Shari Weinsheimer

As per our normal routine, we walked down to our local city park this morning.  And I must say, I was appalled at the women who were there.  I apparently intruded on their play date.  As the odd-mom-out, let me just encourage all my dear mommy friends that when you go to the park there are a few etiquette rules you should follow:

1) Watch your children.  I know this seems like a no-brainer, but if you've ever been to a park with lots of children, you will find that mommies get busy talking.  If someone ever wanted to abduct a child, the park is the perfect place because too many mommies don't pay attention. 

2) Say Hello to other mothers--especially when you are in a group.  I was the mom not in the group and these ladies didn't say boo to me.  Their kids did, because their kids weren't being well supervised, but the other mothers completely ignored me.  It's too bad for them.  They were sharing ignorance with each other about treating childhood asthma.  Too bad they didn't talk to the former school nurse--I could have taught them something.

3) If you're going to breastfeed your child in full public view, keep all female appendages covered.  I mean seriously, my 2 year old should not be asking why that other mommy is taking her shirt off.  If you can pick a wedgie without lifting up your skirt, who should be able to nurse a baby without showing the world your lady parts.  They have great little tools for breastfeeding in public--they're called blankets!

4) Don't judge other mothers based on their appearance.  I almost broke this rule on Monday.  The other mom at the park was with her husband and mother, and I seriously misjudged these people. Based on their appearance I would have sworn that they were growing marijuana in their backyard and were dealers.  But when I started talking with them, they were just nice people with a nice little boy who was very kind to my 2 year old son!  My little guy had so much fun with theirs.

5) Don't hog all the benches with your junk.  That's right.  Other people like to sit on benches while they watch their kids.  So pick one bench and put your junk there.  Be an example for your children and share.

6) Don't let your kids be brats.  This little snotty girl would not let my 2 year old go down his favorite slide today.  I really wanted to get involved, but I was curious to see what he would do without me.  He's such a good little man!  He didn't flinch, scream, or cry, but he just waited until she got tired of harassing him and went down the slide.  She's a lucky little girl.  I'm confident that if she had tried that stunt on my other son, he would have pulled her hair and pushed her down the slide.  I'm so proud of my oldest child for setting such a good example, even at the age of 2!

7) Don't block the sidewalk.  People who are walking or riding their bikes through the park shouldn't have to go through the wood chips or grass solely because you have set up camp on the sidewalk.  Be polite and move yourself. I actually had to get my kids out of our stroller today and had to carry the stroller around these ladies because they wouldn't move!

8) Play!  That's what the park is for.  The daddy I saw at the park was flying a kite.  I was walking the trails with my kiddos.  And that's why we have parks.  If you want to gossip--find a coffee shop.

9) Don't irritate other mothers at the park.  Or else the might blog about you!

No comments:

Post a Comment