Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rejected and Happy About It

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  Matthew 11:28

I did something that I probably shouldn't have done over the weekend.  I applied to a job.  It was a job that I didn't need, but something that was kind of interesting to me.  I justified applying to it because the commitment was minimal.  But as soon as I sent out the application, I immediately regretted that I had hit the send button.  For some reason, I felt guilty and burdened by what I had done.  I've been so happy at home, why in the world would I want to go back to work in a hospital?  I have been sick to my stomach and worried about my actions ever since.

That's when I prayed about it.  I was honest and said that if it wasn't meant to be, that I didn't even want to get an interview.  Well guess what?  I didn't even get the interview!  And trust me, I was overqualified for the position.  I can't tell you how much better I feel today knowing that I'm not carrying around the burden of trying to figure out how to juggle a job again.  I also know that God has something bigger in store.  He's got a purpose for this law degree, and one day He's going to show me. 

In the meantime, I'm going to rest in Him and use my time to encourage others. God wants to give us rest, we just have to seek it from Him and let Him carry our burdens.  I don't know why I have had such a hard time learning this lesson. 

Oh, and if you ever apply to Baylor Grapevine, don't use my name as a reference.  They've never given me an interview for any job I've applied for there.  Of course, I'm sure my former law firm employer isn't exactly on Baylor's favorite persons list...

No comments:

Post a Comment