Friday, April 8, 2011

The Perfect Patent Pump


This is the perfect shoe. This is a Jimmy Choo.  Four years ago, I drove by the Jimmy Choo store and made up my mind that when I graduated from law school, I was going to buy myself a perfect pair of Jimmy Choo shoes as a graduation present for myself. I thought that every aspiring lawyer needed a pair...

 Fast forward to today and reality has set in that I may never own a pair of Jimmy's.  In fact, I've come to realize that it would be foolish to own a pair.  Who really needs a pair of $500 pumps?  Definitely, not me.

Four years and 2 kids later, I need pumps with rubber soles that will support me when I'm carrying 25 pounds of baby.  I need pumps with super soft insoles to comfort my feet when I'm chasing my toddler around the house.  I need pumps that don't make holes in my grass as I'm trying to get my kiddo buckled into his car seat.  Ok, to be honest, I guess I need tennis shoes. (Yeah right you're really going to catch me in sneakers!)

Anyway, the moral to the story is that over the past four years, my attitude, heart, and desires have changed a lot.  I'm starting to get a grasp on money and the value of things--$500 shoes are just stupid when I can buy $15 black patent pumps at Ross.  I'm understanding how to prioritize my life--having money for diapers is so much more important than having cash for Starbucks.  I'm learning patience--that's why God made toddlers.  And I've come to understand how the pursuit of worldly endeavors is meaningless and can make you miserable--you've never seen misery until you've met a first year law student.

I know that a lot of people think that going to law school was a waste of four years of my life since I'm not planning on working right now.  I've even had Christians tell me that college, in general, is a waste of time for women.  But it's not.  God used this time to teach me, to mature me, and to open my eyes to the battles that my children will face in this world.  I can't wait to see what God has in store for me next.  Who knows, maybe  someday He'll give me the opportunity to argue before the Supreme Court of the United States and He'll make sure I'm wearing a pair of Jimmy's... Hey, miracles happen!

Since I don't want to violate any copyright laws, you can find this shoe and much more at http://www.jimmychoo.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment