Saturday, January 28, 2012

Channeling the Creative Genes


I know that parents are supposed to encourage creativity with their children, but I'm finding that this push for creativity does not come naturally for me.  I like my house to be clean.  I like crayon markings to stay on paper.  I like children to color "within the lines."  And I like music to be in rhythm and on key.  Yes I know, I sound like a boring, jerk of a mother, but so far my ability to live inside these safe and natural boundaries has served me pretty well.

That said, the other day when I caught my youngest pouring barbeque sauce on our puppy and my oldest "painting" his hands with markers, it occurred to me that maybe I need to make a little more effort to "foster creativity" in my home.  My children are very creative (I mean have you ever seen a barbequed puppy?)  But I think it's time to start channeling their creative genes and their energy into a more appropriate direction. 

So I've made it my goal to find some new creative and fun activities for my guys.  I'm also hoping I can find some great family activities that do not involve things that give me nightmares--paint, glue, BBQ sauce, scissors, ketchup, 1000 little pieces, etc.  But coming up with out-of-the-box, non-crafty boy activities isn't as easy as it sounds!

Today's project, however, worked out pretty great.  We created our own rail road.  And it was a big hit!  My oldest was quite excited to watch Mommy and Daddy work like engineers to build our very own tracks.  And he spent quite awhile pushing his train around the bends and making it whistle. 



Who knew that a couple rolls of painter's tape could produce such splendid results?  Our track is made completely of painter's tape, which means that it comes up easily! And of course, with tape, you can make your track go anywhere and in any direction!  Pretty great.  Someday when we have more time, we'd like to create multiple tracks that run through the kitchen and down the hall.  But I think this first attempt turned out pretty well.

Anyway, our first attempt at a "creative activity" appeared to be a success.  Now I've got to start thinking up a great idea for next week.

2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome idea! I will definitely try that with my boys when they are old enough!

    ReplyDelete