Friday, January 13, 2012

He Wants to Get Married


My son informed me this morning that he's interested in getting married.  But he came to me, because he was hoping I could explain how he can go about getting married.  I suppose at some point in my life, this will be a wonderfully exciting conversation to have with my son.  Unfortunately, at the moment it's a little premature considering that he's only 3 years old.  So what are you supposed to say to a 3 year old about marriage?

Well, first I explained that he needed to be old enough to get married, and preferably be out of college.  This rule, of course, sparked a debate as to the proper age for marriage.  He's convinced that 5 years old is old enough, but I assured him he wouldn't meet his future wife until way in the future--probably college.  So no, 5 years old is not feasible.  Nor is it legal under the Texas Family Code. 

Next we talked about the fact that he can't get married until he meets the girl he wants to marry.  And of course, he can only marry her if she wants to marry him.  After pondering this statement, he asked me if I thought girls would think he's handsome.  I assured him that girls would find him to be a handsome, smart, athletic, and wonderful boy.  But, I explained that what girls think isn't that important at the age of 3!!!

Finally, I explained that when he is old enough and does find the right girl, he and that girl are going to have to tell their parents and their pastors so that we can help them with the formal ceremony--in 3 year old terms, the getting married party.  And of course, he and his beautiful girl will then have to fill out paperwork and make promises to each other in church to prove before everyone and the State of Texas that they are married.

I was definitely baffled by this line of questioning.  Who would have thought that I would be laying down our family rules for marriage so early?

Well, I suppose I should have seen it coming.  Earlier this week, he and I had a chat about babies and their mommies.  I made the mistake of explaining that I was his mommy because he used to be in my belly.  And that completely grossed him out!  Of course, this statement had to be followed up with an explanation about how God gives babies to married people by placing a baby in the mommy's belly and by allowing the doctor to take the baby out.  He informed me that he doesn't think I really know what I'm talking about.  He said there's no way a baby is going to fit inside my stomach. Somehow, this statement actually made me happy and feel slightly skinnier...

Regardless, he has informed me that he still wants to get married so that he can have his own baby and become a Daddy.   Oh, and he also wants to drive a car...

Motherhood has taught me that you must always be prepared.  Sometimes the little ones ask the unexpected questions, so you better have an answer.  And if you don't have a good answer, just make up something gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment